Thursday, April 16, 2015

S&W Polychrome to Taquete

Now I think I am going to be weaving Taquete.



Here is a small history lesson.
According to Summer and Winter, A Weave for All Seasons by Donna Sullivan - "summer and winter polychrome is 3 blocks of single two-tie and you rotate two or more colors of pattern weft with a tabby weft"

According to Harriet Tidball, Shuttle Craft Guild Monograph Nineteen 1966, "two differently colored pattern wefts follow each tabby shot."

Well, what is it if you don't use tabby?

Lilian Whipple says in her book, Summer and Winter to Taquete (A Lesson In How To Design And Weave In Two Basic Structures)  - "My definition of Taquete is summer and winter woven without the tabby thread." The tie down threads ( 1 + 2) must always alternate and all pattern blocks must be woven as pattern or floats will appear on the top or bottom side of the fabric."


So now, what I am doing is this... I am weaving using three colors in a set rotation alternating each of three different pattern shafts. I have 12 picks I must do before I can move onto the next block. There is no set three pattern shaft to use or what order to pick them... so I am having fun designing on the loom to find my blocks.

My sequence using three colors (pattern wefts):
1+ 1st pattern - mauve
1+ 2nd pattern - rose
1+ 3 pattern - turquoise

2+ 1st pattern - mauve
2+ 2nd pattern - rose
2+ 3rd pattern - turquoise

1+ 1st pattern - mauve
1+ 2nd pattern - rose
1+ 3 pattern - turquoise

2+ 1st pattern - mauve
2+ 2nd pattern - rose
2+ 3rd pattern - turquoise

*You will need to contact Lillian Whipple for her booklet..or it might have been a download.... and the Donna Sullivan book should still be available.

No comments: