Monday, July 1, 2013

Some Things Learned at Midwest Weavers Conference


I have been working on my report to the Weavers of the North Shore who, through the HGA, awarded me the Mearl K. Gable II Memorial Grant to attend the Midwest Weavers Pre-Conference.

As you know, I picked the class offered by Nadine Sanders: Weaving That Sings: Painting with Yarns. I went into this learning environment not knowing very much about the Theo Moorman technique. I have since learned it is a plain weave inlay technique. All you need is a four shaft loom, but now that I think I have the general idea, I see how this inlay technique has lots of design potential. The brain keeps churning and wondering.

A basic draft on a variation of the Theo Moorman technique. Nadine had other sleying options for different projects.

          X           X        
    X           X              
  O     O     O     O          
O     O     O     O              tie up
 
O= HEAVIER YARN     X X
X= THIN TIE DOWN YARNS X X    
plain weave     X X
X X    
  P    
G      
    P  
G=ground weft       G
P= pattern weft   P    
G      
Reed= sleying order 12 dent reed     P  
2 ends- 2,1       G
1 end- 3
2 ends- 2,1
1 end-4

No comments: