Saturday, March 26, 2016

Woven Shibori does a Dance

Ever wonder what it would look like if you wove with color and then dyed with another? Here I have attempted just that. I wanted to see if I wove with a white warp and a colored weft then dyed the pulled shibori cloth I could get something different than the usual look. I was a little surprised I got the green, but should not have been. I think for the 'real' towel I will dye with just the blue. I wove this small sample to play with. But I do have one woven towel in the wings. It is waiting for a dye workshop later this year.
Here I have a white warp and am weaving with red. The purple is the resist threads that I will pull out later and throw away.

I have dyed on one side with yellow. I am going for  red-yellow-blue, or red-white-blue. 

I have pulled my resist threads.

Here I have applied the blue dye.

Well, I did get the red white and blue on the left. But I think I got red-yellow-green on the right because I had not rinsed out all the yellow dye. After all, yellow and blue make GREEN! 
Moral to the story..... just have fun. You never quite know what you will get. That is the beauty of woven shibori. You sort-of know, but not really. If you want a one-of-a-kind cloth than woven shibori is for you.

No comments: