Saturday, November 7, 2015

Dictionary

Dictionary 

I have come to the end of 'this' dictionary. Perhaps you would want to create your own. Or maybe you might add to mine.

To me, weaving is an on-going learning experience. Having a dictionary at my fingertips helps me understand the words used. If I know what twill means, I am better able to weave and create twill. If I know the meaning of half-Rya, I can do that. What does overshot on opposites mean? What are thrums? What is the difference between set and sett?




Knowing the meaning of words in the context of weaving helps the learning process.So the next time someone says, "this rug has a nice texture", know they are taking about the nubby or rough surface of that rug. You wouldn't say an Oriental rug had texture as its surface is smooth. But it does have texture. So knowing the way the weaver speaks and thinks is assisted by weaving dictionaries.

One of the very first things I learned was weaving had its own language. And the next thing I learned was that weaving words were used as a way to explain the ways of the world.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kankuritar said...

Helou from Finland, your weaving 'dictionary' was very interesting, thank you.

Ann said...

Thank you! It was just a bit of fun.